I have opened my own Preschool - visit macfadyenpa.com

Don't forget to visit our Facebook page and Pinterest for additional ideas and links! Updates are posted frequently.



Add yourself to Kreative Resources Blog Hop!



ANY COMMENTS DEEMED SPAM WILL BE DELETED! If you wish to advertise on my page you must contact me directly @ kreativeresources@hotmail.com













Tuesday 19 July 2011

She Speaks!

Today during nap time I kept hearing this little voice chatting away to themselves. The voice was not familiar. Wanting to 'hush' the child so others would stay asleep, I cruised the room looking to the 'new' children who are in my room for the summer camps. They were all sleeping soundly! Who's voice was I hearing? As I crossed the room, this cherub of a girl, who had been in my classroom all school year, was having quite a conversation with herself! I was shocked and amazed because she had NEVER said a single thing all year - never changed her facial expression or got involved in any activity without proding! Today she was chatting with me, looking through books with me and describing all she was seeing, answering all my questions and doing so with full sentences! OMG her Mother had told me she was talking, but I never thought it was going to be like this! I was over the moon! I was so excited to tell her Mother she finally spoke to me! To top the excitement off she didn't want to leave at the end of the day, and her Mom told me that when she was at home during her weeks off, she took her school shoes from the cupboard and asked to come to see me!
These breakthrough moments are why I love toddlers. I get to see them move from tiny tots who are scared and uncertain, to bold and brassen - willing to share who they are in a moment when they feel comfortable enough to make that connection.
Now I can't wait to get to school tomorrow to have another conversation - with this very special little girl!

Oh and BTW we got up an half hour early today - because she was talking so much - she woke everyone up - but that's OK!! :)

I am hoping this stoic facade will turn to smiles in no time!

1 comment:

  1. Oh bless her... what a beautiful moment for you!

    I had the same 'buzz' last week when a baby with severe stranger-response (ie SCREAMING whenever a stranger came near her, even if it was the casual staff- ie me!) suddenly relaxed and smiled at me. It took a LOT of patience... but it happened!

    ReplyDelete